Being part of a Book Club can be a wonderful way to connect with new people, spend time with friends, dissect books, discover great new reads or re-visit old favourites. Our services to Book Clubs include access to over 100 titles, including discussion notes where possible. Each Book Club set contains 10 copies of your selected book. Book Club sets are free of charge.
Register your Group
You have a group together and want to get started? Great!
Register your club below and finalise your membership by visiting any of our branches with ID and proof of address or visit one of our branches and register there.
Please note: when completing the membership form patrons need to:
- Choose the Full Membership option
- Enter Book Club as their First name
- Enter their Book Club name as their Last name
- Select 'Yes' in response to Do you want to become a Bookclub Member?
- Complete the registration by visiting any of our branches with photo ID and proof of residential address.
Online membership will be available for Book Set borrowing 24 hours after your online registration. Borrowing of sets will be available once in branch registration is complete.
Register below or alternatively, the Book Club contact person can visit one of our branches and complete full registration there.
Register your club
Reserving and borrowing sets
Book Clubs have access to over 100 titles with discussion notes. Each Book Club set contains 10 copies and is loaned for six weeks at no charge.
To give greater access to our Book Club collection, Book Club reserve their sets online.
VIEW BOOK CLUB LIST
Click above to view the most current Book Club list or browse the titles on our catalogue.
When you have chosen your title, place a hold on it and select your pick up branch.
- Limit your search by selecting from the top left drop-down menu 'HBLS book club items'.
- Select a title that is available. At the bottom of the catalogue entry for the title you are searching for, check that the loan status for the title is: On shelf - book club sets
- Reserve your selection two weeks before your meeting so that you can be sure that it is available and that there is time for staff to process your request.
- When your selection is ready for collection, your Book Club representative will be notified by either SMS or email as you have nominated. This notification confirms the availability of the reservation. If a notification is not received within five days following the Place a Hold contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New titles are regularly added to the Book Club collection. Be sure to check back regularly.
For further information email email@example.com.
eBooks for Book Clubs
Many of our eLibrary titles are able to be borrowed and listened to by many people at once (i.e. you don’t have to wait for a copy to become available), making an ideal alternative for busy book clubs.
To access these titles, create a free Libby account or contact us for further information.
Note that to use this service your book club members will need:
- a computer, mobile phone or tablet
- an internet connection
- a Hobsons Bay Libraries membership
- an email address
Looking to join a group?
There are plenty of options if you don't have a group together and are still looking to join an existing Book Club.
Run in a variety locations around Melbourne.
A social network site that links people of like interests. There is a large range of Book Clubs listed with varying tastes, costs and locations.