The regulation of noise across Victoria and the responsible authorities is complex in nature and it can be difficult to know where to start.

The below illustration from the EPA will help you know where to start:



Council understands and appreciates that with the ongoing impact of Covid-19, many residents will be working from home and more sensitive to disruption from noise.

In support of residents experiencing unreasonable noise, Council has prepared the below simple table to connect residents with the best source of support:  

Residential noise Who to contact

Lawn mower, leaf blower or electric power tool 

Construction or demolition of residential premises  

Dog or cat noise 


Please use our online noise assessment and submission tool at the bottom of this webpage.

Parties, yelling and antisocial behaviour 

Victoria Police

Please call 000 in the event of an emergency or the 24-hour Police Assistance Line on 131 444. 


Industrial, commercial or trade noise  Who to contact

Factory, retail or manufacturing noise

Warehouse and distribution noise

Loading dock and delivery bay noise

Reversing beeper noise

Commercial and civil construction or demolition noise

Quarry or cement industry noise 

Environment Protection Authority

Contact the EPA 24 hour hotline on 1300 372 842 or report your concern online at 

Aircraft noise 

Airservices Australia

Report your concern to Airservices Australia by calling 1800 802 584. 

Unroadworthy or illegally modified vehicle noise 

Victoria Police

Report your concern to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

*Note for illegally modified, smoky or unroadworthy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes please contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator confidential reporting line on 1800 931 785 


Entertainment venue noise    Who to contact 

Pub, club or hotel venue noise

Indoor concert venue noise

Outdoor concert or festival noise   

Environment Protection Authority

Contact the EPA 24 hour hotline on 1300 372 842 or report your concern online at

Liquor Control Victoria 

Contact Liquor Control Victoria on 1300 182 457 or report your concern online at

*Note: Residents are advised in making their complaint to request Liquor Control Victoria investigate the matter with reference to section 94 of the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998. This section allows under certain circumstances Liquor Control Victoria to commence an inquiry into the impact on amenity from a liquor license.


Freight and industrial noise affecting residents in Altona and Altona North

Council is aware of concerns from residents located in Altona and Altona North about increased intrusion from freight and logistics noise as a result of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on supply chains and increased online retail.

The concerns raised with Council primarily relate to reversing beepers and noise from shipping containers being loaded and moved during night time and early morning periods.

Under new State Government laws which came into effect on 1 July 2021, the EPA has assumed direct responsibility for regulating industrial noise. Council is working with and assisting the EPA with this investigation to improve these operations and reduce the impact on the amenity of the surrounding residential areas.

In recognition of the concerns and in support of local residents, Council has formally reported the matter to the EPA for investigation and liaison with industrial businesses in the area.

If you live in this area and want to report unreasonable freight noise

  1. Call the 24-hour EPA pollution hotline on 1300 372 842.
  2. Follow the prompts to “report pollution”.
  3. When given the option, request to speak to an operator (not the automated machine).
  4. Provide the operator with reference number PRI-00001751.
  5. Then proceed to lodge your complaint, seek an update, or provide further concerns.


Planning permits and the management of noise

We understand that there are some areas around the municipality which are impacted by the closeness of competing planning scheme zones.  The Hobsons Bay Planning Scheme regulates these uses, but not all uses or buildings require planning permission. 

If a planning permit has been issued, Council will commence appropriate investigations and enforcement of those planning permits should a breach be identified. 

However, some uses are ‘as of right’, meaning they do not require a planning permit to build a building or to operate their businesses.  In those cases, Council cannot enforce improved operational standards.  Residents will have to report these directly to the EPA if it relates to an industry.

We don’t expect residents to be experts in this space, and so, the above table is still the primary reference point if you would like to understand who to submit your concern to.

Should your concern not be listed above, feel free to contact Council on 1300 179 944.

Use our online tool to assess your noise issue and how it can be responded to.

Would you like to use our Online tool?

Use our online tool to assess your noise issue and how it can be responded to. Click Here