Hobsons Bay canopy cover
Hobsons Bay City Council is recognised as having one of the lowest amounts of tree canopy cover or natural shade out of all Victorian municipalities.
When last measured by the State Government of Victoria in 2018, the average tree canopy cover across Greater Melbourne stood at 15.3 per cent. Hobsons Bay measured only 6 per cent during this study. Through the actions set out in our Urban Forest Strategy, Council is working hard to increase our tree canopy cover to 30 per cent by 2040. To achieve this ambitious target, we will have to plant trees in all available spaces over the coming years.
Figure 1 - 2018 % urban tree cover in Melbourne by region
© State Government of Victoria 2021
As part of the Urban Forest Strategy, Council has developed a Canopy Delivery Plan, which will target key canopy enhancement opportunities
- Residential nature strip planting sites
- Street tree renewals
- Retrofitting new planting sites in hard surfaced areas, utilising Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD)
- Opportunity mass planting sites
- Trees led approach to all carpark redevelopments and road rehabilitation projects
- Creation of a Green Streets program to help educate and foster care for urban trees
- Creation of a Green Industries program to maximise planting opportunities within our industrial precincts
To read the Canopy Delivery Plan, please click on the below link:
Canopy Delivery Plan 2022