Hobsons Bay offers a variety of locations suitable for filming including heritage streetscapes, coastal landscapes, park lands and industrial landscapes. Permission is required for all filming on Council land.
Applicants should read the Filming Guidelines for Hobsons Bay for details of the application process and for advice on low impact filming, filming fees and terms and conditions.
“A Guide to Filming in Hobsons Bay” has been produced in partnership with Film Victoria as a resource for filmmakers seeking permits or approvals to film on public land.
Film crews should contact Council’s Events Unit directly regarding the intention to film, no later than five (5) business days prior to filming. If your filming is taking place on private land, but you need to park on public roads, you should contact the Events Unit to discuss your proposal.
Commercial photographers should apply for a permit through the filming application form or, if applicable, a low impact filming request form can be used.
A standard fee is applied for filming in the municipality, but a lower fee applies to low impact filming, films which promote the City and no fees are charged for student films. All filming is limited to those areas in the municipality under Council's jurisdiction. Please refer to the Filming Guidelines for further information.
Low Impact Filming
If your filming activities fall within the Low Impact Filming criteria, you can complete a Low Impact Filming Request form, if not then proceed with the Filming Application Form.
The Low Impact Filming criteria is as follows:
- the filming activity involves eight (8) people or less on-site (inclusive of all production crew and talent)
- you have no more than one camera, and one tripod, and handheld sound recording equipment
- no lighting, camera tracking devices, vehicles, large props or generators are permitted
- your activities do not adversely disrupt stakeholders (traders, residents and businesses) or motorists
- all public pathways/footpaths/cycling paths and roads must not be blocked - a minimum of 1.8 metres is required on footpaths at all times
- you have consent from those directly affected
- you must provide notification of low impact filming a minimum of two (2) business days prior to the proposed filming activity
For further information on filming or photography, please contact the Events Unit on 9932 1000 or via email email@example.com.