Sign up to become a library member
Joining the library as a member is fast and easy! You can join online for immediate access to thousands of eLibrary titles and other online content. Alternatively, bring along some ID with proof of your residential address to any Hobsons Bay Libraries branch and we will get you started with your library membership.
Note: being a Hobsons Bay resident is not a requirement to join as a library member.
Borrowing Conditions and Further information
Borrowing and Reservations
- Unlimited loans.
- Books, magazines, DVD and talking books can be borrowed for 21 days.
- You can renew your items twice, provided it they are not on reserve for another customer.
- You can reserve items via the library catalogue. Once ready for collection we will notify you by your preferred method and you will have 7 days to collect the item.
Fees and Charges
Library membership is available at no charge, and there is no charge for most services and facilities including borrowing items, using public computers or Wi-Fi.
Borrowing and PC use will be suspended if you have two items overdue.
- Overdue items: as of 1 November 2020, Hobsons Bay Libraries will no longer be applying fines for overdue items.
- A4/A3 printing: Black and white, $0.30/$0.50 per page.
- A4/A3 printing: Colour, $0.60/$1.20 per page.
- Replacement library card, $3.20.
View the full list of fees and charges(PDF, 288KB)
You can choose to receive library notices via SMS or email. The following information will be communicated to you via your preferred contact method:
- Reservations that are ready to be collected.
- Courtesy reminders one day before items are due.
- Overdue items that were due seven days ago.
Please note that whilst we do offer reminders as a courtesy service it is the responsibility of all library members to ensure their loans are returned on time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still borrow or use a computer if I don't have my library card?
You sure can. If you have forgotten your library card, just show us some ID with your current address.
I don't know/can't remember my PIN?
You will need your PIN to reserve and renew items, and to login to PCs and Wi-Fi. You can select the 'Forgot my PIN' option when logging in to your library account to reset your PIN. You can also reset your PIN by visiting any of our branches with your library card and ID.
I joined at branch A, can I use branch B?
Absolutely! Your card is valid at all five Hobsons Bay Libraries' branches, as well as online for all online resources, eBooks, eMagazines and more. You can borrow items from one branch and return to a different one, and reserve items to be sent to your nearest branch.
Is there a minimum age for library membership?
There is no minimum age to join the library, however anyone aged under 18 will need a parent/guardian or responsible adult to give consent for a new membership.