All Hobsons Bay properties are able to book one free hard waste collection each financial year (1 July to 30 June).
Booking your collection
You must book a hard waste collection by 12pm Friday the week prior to when you would like your hard waste collected.
Collections take place on the same day as your general waste collection. Please ensure items are ready for collection by 6am on collection day.
If you place your items out too late or in the incorrect location, your items will not be collected and your booked collection will be forfeited.
The contractor will leave a notice in your letterbox informing why a collection has not occurred.
Should you need to postpone or cancel your hard waste collection, you must notify Council on 9932 1000 prior to 3pm the business day before your booked collection.
If you do not notify Council by this time your property will not be entitled to another collection for that financial year.
Please contact Council on 9932 1000 to book your collection.
What can I put out in hard rubbish?
Are your items still in good working order? If so, consider donating them to a local Charity or Op shop.
The following items are permitted to be put out for your hard rubbish collection:
- household furniture
- electronic waste (all e-waste will be recycled)
- mattress and bed bases
- pottery, ceramics and chinaware
- whitegoods (remove fridge/freezer doors)
- air conditioners
- hot water units
- glass (securely wrapped and marked 'GLASS')
- scrap metal, tools and equipment
- small amounts of timber (bundled and tied, no longer than 1.5 metres in length)
- tree stumps (30 centimetres diameter)
- branches (bundled and tied, no longer than 1.5 metres in length)
- BBQs, bicycles and toys
Hard rubbish that will NOT be collected:
- NO Renovation or demolition materials
- NO carpet
- NO fencing materials
- NO guttering
- NO plaster, bricks, tiles and plaster
- NO chemicals, liquids, paints, oils and automotive fluids
- NO car batteries
- NO garden sprays and fertilisers
- NO gas bottles
- NO asbestos, ashes, tyres and tyre rims
- NO unbundled green waste
- NO commercial, business or household garbage
- NO soil, rocks, rubble, concrete
- NO tree trunks larger than 30 centimetres in diameter
Guidelines for collection
Place all items within your property boundary (in your front yard or driveway). Do not place items on the nature strip or crossover.
Ensure there is clear access to your waste collection. If access or placement is a problem, please contact Council on 9932 1000 prior to collection day.
For properties with no obvious boundary (fence or footpath), place your items between 4 to 10 metres from the street kerb or gutter.
maximum volume: 3 cubic metres (3m length x 1m depth x 1m high)
maximum length: 1.5 metres for any item
maximum weight: 20kg per item, container or bundle of items
What happens to hard waste after its collected?
Wood, metal, electronic waste components and green waste collected through the hard waste service are recycled. We use two collection vehicles, one for recyclable materials and the other for landfilled non-recyclable items.
Other disposal options
For disposal of additional items or items that are not accepted, refer to our Other Recycling and Disposal Options page.