Altona Meadows Library and Learning Centre
The installation of the Centres of Excellence will commence in January 2023 with the Altona Meadows Library and Learning Centre the first to undergo this transformation.
- Acoustic panelling will be laid this month.
- Cabling for the AV and IT equipment has been completed and is now waiting for the final fit off.
- The external courtyard steel frame has been erected and is being prepared before the pergola structure is mounted.
- Existing combustible cladding removed (where it is within 6 meters of an adjacent building). Replacement cladding folded ready for install.
- All bathrooms have been tiled.
- Two new Tech Pods to be constructed and being fitted out with plaster and joinery.
- All floor surfaces are removed.
- Works on the courtyard and external pergola have commenced.
- Internal demolition commences, including the removal of carpet, joinery and wall linings.
- All technological equipment has been removed and placed into storage.
23 December 2022
- Building closed to public.
STEAM Centre of Excellence
The Altona Meadows Library and Learning Centre is situated within a 17 year old building, which is accessed by more than 30,000 visitors each year. The site was determined as a priority for refurbishment in the Hobsons Bay City Council’s Plan 2021-25. This major refurbishment will bring the building's functionality up to current standards while ensuring it is future proofed for years to come.
New inclusions to the site will include:
- A new and improved children’s area.
- Environmentally sustainable features throughout the building.
- Acoustic treatments and technology pods.
- Landscaping to the external courtyard.
- New carpet throughout the building.
- A STEAM Centre of Excellence.
This much-needed refurbishment has been made possible thanks to a $500,000 contribution to the project from the Victorian Government through the Living Libraries Infrastructure Program.
Last updated 8 February, 2023.