Williamstown Historical Museum

Mechanics Institute.jpg

The Williamstown Historical Museum was founded in 1941 to preserve and promote knowledge of the town’s history. The collection includes photographs, documents, and artefacts from the 1700s to the present day, as well as published works related to the town’s history.  

 

Williamstown was established as a “government town” with Immigration, pilots, customs, water police, tugboats, boat-building and ship building, Ports and Harbour yard, Astronomical Observatory, Railway workshops, Victorian Navy, Militia, Artillery, Rifle Range along with iron foundries, petroleum facilities, S.E.C. power station, etc. Such diversity is probably covered by no other Victorian Historical Society.

 

 

Please note, the Williamstown Historical Museum is closed for renovations until 2020. Research is available through the Williamstown Historical Society’s website.

 

 

Open hours

Closed for renovations until 2020

 

Location

(Currently closed to the public)

5 Electra Street, Williamstown

 

Contact

P: (03) 9397 1534

E: williamstownhistsocietyvic@gmail.com

W: www.williamstownhistsoc.org.au