Williamstown Town Hall
Situated just 15 minutes from Melbourne’s CBD, the newly renovated 1920s Greek Revival architecture of the Williamstown Town Hall is the perfect venue for a range of functions including, concerts, formal dinners, weddings, fundraisers, ceremonies, expos, cultural and civic events, or conferences and meetings. Keep an eye on the What’s On Calendar to see which shows or events are coming up at this historic site. As part of a new precinct, incorporating the Williamstown Library and newly landscaped forecourt, the Town Hall has main road exposure and ample parking. The link way, shared with the Library, offers an additional accessible entry which can operate in tandem with the original front entrance.
The Town Hall was once the centre of local political life. Williamstown Borough was declared in 1856 and for its first half century the council met in the former Williamstown Court House, near the corner of Cecil and Thompson Streets. Work on the Town Hall building began in 1918 and after input from a series of architects, most importantly, Gibbs, Finlay and Morsby, it opened in 1927.
The building is considered to be a particularly fine example of an early twentieth century town hall and is generally of the Greek Revival architectural style. The front 1918 building underwent restoration, from 2009 to 2011. As one of the few buildings in the western region capable of accommodating a seated audience of more than 1,000 patrons, the Town Hall continues to play a significant role in the social and culture life of the community.