The Blunt family’s business has been operating in the area since the 1880s. The family began boat-building in Geelong in 1858. The business moved to Williamstown c1880 and operated from a yard with shed, pier and slipway on the waterfront between Ann Street and Thompson Street. Many ‘finely built’ craft were constructed there including 24 sailing vessels. In 1925 their lease was resumed by the government for land reclamation.
The current boat-yard site on Nelson Place was taken up in 1926. The site had been used from the 1858 till at least 1877 for steam sawmill operations, and from 1913 to 1926 by motor engineers.
150 Nelson Place, Williamstown
Ph: (03) 9397 2323