A Railway Centre
Williamstown had four suburban railway stations along a two-kilometre length; a remarkable number for one suburb at the time. Today, North Williamstown, Williamstown Beach, and Williamstown Stations remain. Built in 1859, Williamstown Station is the oldest railway station in Victoria still in its original form. Williamstown Pier station and line has been shut, although the path of the old line is still visible from Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park.
The Williamstown line was the first government railway line in Australia (1857) and ran from Point Gellibrand to Spencer Street, Melbourne. Between 1857 and 1889 the main railway workshops of the Victorian Railways were situated at Point Gellibrand and imported steam locomotives were assembled at the site. During its peak, the Victorian Railway workshops covered 85 per cent of the land of Point Gellibrand and remained that way until 1889 when the extensive workshops were moved to a new and larger site at Newport.
Point Gellibrand retained a goods branch line. It was used primarily for the transport and storage of wheat harvested for overseas export. With a series of grain stores on site, it became a very busy place after the harvest. Wheat storage, and all railway activity at Point Gellibrand, finally ceased in the early 1960s.