Multi-unit dwellings

Council identified some of the larger blocks and has provided shared bin arrangements for these properties as part of the standard roll out. For these properties we have provided the following shared bins:

service offering.png

This approach provides all residents with access to the four bins, while only increasing the total number of bins at the block or MUD by 20%.

We know that not all apartments or MUDs were included in this initial roll out. However, if shared bins are going to work better for you, we can provide this.

Requesting Shared Bins

If you live in an Apartment Block, Unit or MUD, we understand that space within your property or the common property may not allow storage of four bins per unit. There are four overall options for you:

  1. Standard Service - Each unit, flat or apartment has their own set of four bins
  2. Shared Bins – For the whole property or apartment block
  3. Shared Bins - For some units or dwellings in the block
  4. Private Waste and Recycling Service - The whole property or apartment block having a private service and no bins provided by Council to any units, flats or apartments

Getting Shared Bins

Before shared bins can be provided, there are some steps to do first. Most importantly, you need agreement to share bins. Unfortunately, one resident cannot make a decision for a whole block.

Start by talking with your neighbours and other residents in the block or MUD. Also make contact with your Owners Corporation (formerly Body Corporate) or Building Manager if you have one.

See if it is an issue for all units or dwellings or just some of them. If it is clear that the whole block wants to share bins, then we need a formal request. Following receipt of an authorised written request, a staff member will contact you and work to get the right set of bins for your needs.

Authorised Written Request

We require written communication from the Owners Corporation or from an authorised Building Manager asking for shared bins for the whole block. Likewise, if the whole block has decided to move to a private service this needs to come from the Owners Corporation or from an authorised Building Manager. This may require a meeting of the Owners Corporation to be called and held in order to authorise this. You should refer to your Owners Corporation rules or the model rules for them at Consumer Affairs Victoria

If it is only some of the units or dwellings that have space issues and want to share bins, then a written request signed by each of the ratepayers for those units or dwellings will be required. Please complete the Multi-unit Dwelling (MUD) / Apartment Request for Shared Bins(PDF, 232KB) form and forward it to Hobsons Bay City Council:

Note that there may be approximately a 3-4 week wait from receipt of your completed request to process this.