Tree giveaways are a fantastic way for the community and Council to work together to help grow our urban forest. An increased canopy is effective in reducing urban heat and mitigating the urban heat island effect. A generous urban tree canopy that cools the city is crucial to improving community health and wellbeing.
The canopy delivery plan includes numerous ways that Council is increasing our tree population, however we need the community to plant trees on private land, too. We giveaway trees regularly at council and community events. We provide a variety of backyard friendly trees and shrubs in small to medium sizes.
Upcoming tree giveaways:
Christmas in Williamstown - Friday, 8 December 2023, 3pm-7pm - Ferguson Street, Douglas Parade and Nelson Place Williamstown
ALWAYS LIVE End of the Line - Saturday, 9 December 2023, 2pm-8pm - Commonwealth Reserve, Williamstown
Movies by the Bay - Friday, 12 January 2024, 6pm-8pm - Homestead Run Reserve, Seabrook
Movies by the Bay - Friday, 19 January 2024, 6pm-8pm - Logan Reserve, Altona
Summer Sounds - Saturday, 20 January 2024, 2pm-5pm - Curlew Community Park, Laverton
Tree giveaways over summer
Summer can be a difficult time of year to maintain trees in our nursery for giveaways and even planting trees in the warmer months can be tricky if trees are not watered sufficiently. We are now trialing a sign-up process for our tree giveaways, where Hobsons Bay residents can claim a free tree in 2024. Trees will be supplied in early winter.
How to claim a free tree
- Fill out the below form. The sign-up form includes options of what type of tree you would prefer, and we will do our best to find a species that matches your preferences.
- Trees will be ordered early next year.
- You will receive an email with details about when and how you can collect your tree, which will likely occur in early winter 2024.
- Trees are for Hobsons Bay residents to plant within our municipality.
- There will be a limited supply of trees for 2024. You will be notified if you will be included in the first round of tree giveaway collections or placed on a waiting list for potential future rounds.