Find a planning application in Greenlight


Amendment C131 - Updated Planning Scheme & New Residential Zones

On 24 February 2022, the Minister for Planning approved Amendment C131 which introduces a new Planning Policy Framework (PPF) and residential zones into the Hobsons Bay Planning Scheme.

The Minister for Planning approved the amendment subject to minor changes including:

  • reinstatement of the exhibited text and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) preferred wording for Environmentally Sustainable Design (ESD) policy at Clause 15.02-1L
  • various drafting changes to implement amendments C126 and VC204 (approved in December 2021) and to improve the clarity and structure of the PPF

The changes are also detailed in this letter.

Council adopted the new zones and revised planning scheme provisions at its meeting of 14 September 2021. View the Council meeting minutes and adopted documents here

For further information about how the updated planning scheme and new zones were prepared, please visit Amendment C131 - Updated Planning Scheme & New Residential Zones.  

The Planning Team encourages all applicants to submit preliminary plans and seek pre-application advice before lodging an application for a planning permit. A planning officer will provide advice on the suitability of the application and will identify any concerns or issues with the proposal early in the process, which will avoid lengthy delays during the application.

The pre-application advice does not guarantee that a planning permit will be issued. A full assessment of the proposal will be carried out during the application process. This may identify further issues, including those raised by any neighbouring property owners/occupiers during the advertising process.

We can also provide assistance with any general planning enquiries, including providing general planning advice (ie. zoning and overlay controls) and details of whether a planning permit is required. For any general enquiries, please contact the Town Planning team on 1300 179 944. Alternatively, should you require a written response, please submit a request via the below link.

Requests for pre-application advice and any General Enquiries can be made at this link.

Please note any written advice, including written pre-application advice, will attract a fee. See Council’s Planning Fee Schedule for further information.

A written response to a pre-application or general enquiry request generally takes 10 to 15 business days, depending on the complexity of the enquiry.

If you are the Applicant and have lodged the application online, you can find the status of your application through the Track my Applications section of the website or by contacting the assigned Planner directly.

If you are an owner or future occupier of land that is currently subject to a planning application and you are not the Applicant, you can find the status of the application by searching current and completed applications at this link. To avoid confusion, there should only be one point of contact with Council for the Applicant, so speak to your representative to find out further details on your application rather than contacting Council.

Council has expanded on its Greenlight Planning, Building and Parking Permit Modules to allow applicants to lodge and keep track of applications for:

  • road opening/occupation
  • vehicle crossings
  • skip bin permits

The system aims to embrace on-line benefits of lodgement, information transfer and payments to provide a higher level of customer service for residents and applicants of the Council.

These permits are required as part of the Council's Local Laws, if you fail to make the appropriate application prior to undertaking works or locating a skip bin, you may be subject to enforcement action.

Applications can be lodged online by following the below link:

Greenlight Assets Permit Management System

Please lodge a request of demolition consent (Form A) online through Greenlight:

Lodge Form A online