Asbestos is a fibrous material that has been used in the building industry over the years. If your home or workplace was built before the 1990s, there is a high likelihood that it contains asbestos.

There are several organisations involved in giving information and advice and regulating on the removal and disposal of asbestos. These include the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA Victoria), WorkSafe, the Department of Health & Human Services and local councils.

If you have an asbestos related question, a handy one-stop-shop of information is

Who should you call?

Home renovators and handy men and women

Contact Council's Environmental Health Department on 9932 1000 if you have a question about identifying, removing or disposing of asbestos on your own property.

For information on how to identify and safely remove asbestos, visit or

For a list of licensed asbestos removers, visit WorkSafe.

Builders or home/property owners that have engaged builders or professional building services (plumbers, electricians, plasterers etc).

If a professional builder is engaged to do work on your property, your home is considered a workplace (while the work is going on) and you should direct all enquiries to WorkSafe.

WorkSafe handles the registration of approved persons to transport and dispose of waste asbestos. They also control the working conditions for building sites while asbestos is being removed from a building and the site. This is mainly to deal with Occupation Health and Safety (OHS).

WorkSafe Victoria:

(03) 9641 1444

1800 136 089

To report serious workplace emergencies contact their 24 hour emergency response line on 13 23 60.

Concerned renters

Content your real estate agent or Council's Environmental Health Department on 9932 1000.

Concerned neighbours/community members

If you are concerned that work on a neighbour’s property may release asbestos, or you’ve seen asbestos illegally dumped in your community, contact WorkSafe, the Department of Health or the Environmental Protection Agency,


Contact WorkSafe if the property is considered a building site (ie. if the owner has employed contractors to carry out work - look for sign writing on trucks, skips, taped off areas, two or more workers etc).

(03) 9641 1444

1800 136 089

Please note that if no work is currently being undertaken on the site, it is considered a dormant site and WorkSafe will not investigate, as asbestos is considered safe if left undisturbed.

Department of Health & Human Services
1300 761 874

Dumped asbestos

Environmental Protection Agency

Please contact Council's Enviromental Health Department on 9932 1000 if you think asbestos has been dumped illegally. If you find asbestos dumped in areas not licensed to receive or store asbestos, this can also be logged through the EPA pollution reporting system or via the 24-hour EPA pollution hotline at 1300 EPA VIC (1300 372 842).

Please note that Council does not have the power to investigate or enforce any breaches of legislation regarding the removal and disposal of asbestos. The EPA Victoria and Victorian WorkCover Authority (WorkSafe) have the power to investigate in these cases.