If you do not pay

Enforcement of unpaid fines

Hobsons Bay City Council takes steps to enforce unpaid infringement notices. At each stage you have the opportunity to pay the infringement notice, including any added prescribed fees.

Step 1: Penalty Reminder Notice

21 days to pay the infringement notice (plus prescribed fees of $25.80)

After 28 days Council will send you a reminder called a Penalty Reminder Notice. An extra fee of $25.80 will be added to the infringement notice at this stage. The notice will provide options including:

  • pay the total amount by the due date
  • request an internal review
  • elect to have the matter heard in the Magistrates' Court
  • nominate the driver (parking fines)

Step 2: Notice of Final Demand

28 days to pay the infringement notice (plus prescribed fees of $133.40)

After 21 days has passed the Council may register the infringement notice with the Director, Fines Victoria. Once this occurs $133.40 will be added to your fine and the Director will send you a Notice of Final Demand giving 28 days notice to pay

Step 3: Enforcement Warrant

Enforcement Warrant is issued against you (plus prescribed fees of $58.40)

If you do not respond to the Notice of Final Demand within 28 days, the infringement notice may be sent to the Magistrates' Court.

The Magistrates’ Court will issue an Enforcement Warrant, incurring a further $58.40, requiring you to pay the infringement notice plus the Penalty Reminder Notice costs and all enforcement-related costs.

This is a court order and should be treated seriously. If you wish to object to the Enforcement Warrant, you can request an Enforcement Review with Fines Victoria.

Step 4: Seven Day Notice

Seven days to pay fine plus fees

This is your final warning to deal with your fine before the Sheriff takes further action against you.  

The warrant authorises the Sheriff to demand payment of the infringement notice fine and all accumulated fees, or seize your goods as security. If you have not paid within seven days:

  • your property may be sold
  • if you have no goods to seize, you can be imprisoned

Fines Victoria

Fines Victoria is a centralised administration system for collecting overdue fines. As a division of the Magistrates' Court, its decisions have the force of court orders, however, you do not get to appear before a magistrate. If you wish to dispute your infringement notice before a court, you must elect to do so in writing to Hobsons Bay City Council before the matter is registered with Fines Victoria.

Prescribed fees

Prescribed fees, as outlined above, are reviewed and increased regularly. For further information, visit the www.mcv.vic.gov.au/.

For more information about the infringements process, visit Fines Victoria.

Contact us

For more information you may contact us at Hobsons Bay City Council.