Stormwater Drainage

Stormwater is rainfall that drains off a property. Stormwater drainage infrastructure is designed to protect our city from flooding and provide clean stormwater discharge into our waterways.

Legal Point of Discharge

The legal point of discharge is a specific point designated by Council, where all the runoff stormwater (excluding ground water) on a property must be discharged. It is usually a stormwater drain, kerb, pit and channel.

The stormwater outlet from a property up to the legal point of discharge is a private asset. Property owners are responsible for maintaining all stormwater connections between their internal drainage system on private property and to council's drainage network. This includes the point of connection located within a street, laneway, public land, or an easement.

House and storm water

Hobsons Bay City Council is responsible for the management and maintenance of stormwater drains from the legal point of discharge. These include the channels (gutters), drains and pits located in public roads, and our drains in drainage easements.

Do I need a legal point of discharge permit?

You may need a legal point of discharge (LPOD) permit if you are planning to build or renovate your property.

Legal point of discharge is required as part of an application for permit to build (building regulations) and is normally obtained by your building surveyor as part of this process.          

Your LPD report will provide information in accordance with the Building Act, the point of connection, advice on the location of any Council drains, and advice on additional building and planning requirements.

How do I apply?

We determine where stormwater from a property may lawfully discharge e.g. underground pipe or street channel. This information will be given in written on request.

Legal Point of Discharge Application Form(PDF, 176KB)

Once you submit the application and fee, we will provide a written report via email detailing the information.

Can Council check my drainage plan?

If you are required to obtain our approval for your drainage plan, please complete this form(PDF, 885KB).

What happens next?

Applicants should allow up to 10 working days for their permit to be issued.

Please ensure the information provided on the application form is clear and complete. Incomplete information may extend the time required to process the permit.



What does the permit provide?

The legal point of discharge (LPOD) permit provides a report that specifies the point where stormwater from your property must be discharged.

You will be sent:

  • the location of the legal point of discharge
  • information on the Council drain; such as size, depth and/or offsets relevant to the area nominated in the application form (if applicable)
  • a standard drawing of the pipe connection required
  • a letter detailing additional conditions.


Will this permit tell me where my existing drainage is discharging to?

No. While we have information of where stormwater should discharge to, we do not receive information about where the property's stormwater is connected to. A plumber would likely be a better option.


Who is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the stormwater pipe from the house to the Council drain?

The property owner is responsible for all stormwater drainage within their property and the section of stormwater drain from the property to the Council drain, as shown on the image.

Drainage Maintenance

We are responsible for the maintenance of Council owned stormwater drainage. This includes drains and pits within streets and designated easements on private property. 

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of household drains up to the point where they connect into Council's drainage system.             

To report a blocked or broken Council drain or drainage pit call 1300 179 944 or report a blocked or broken drain online.

Flood Mapping

Flood mapping is progressively being carried out in various areas of the municipality with a view to preparing a program of works for flood mitigation.