More youth mental health services in Hobsons Bay
Hobsons Bay is in a 'youth mental health desert' with not enough public or private youth mental health services in our area. We need more timely, local and affordable youth mental health services. Find out more and support our campaign for more services for Hobsons Bay.
If you or someone you know needs support, call Lifeline 13 11 14.
Young people in Melbourne are experiencing an ever-increasing need for mental health support services, and for some, the COVID-19 pandemic has further increased the already high demand for assistance. Access to mental health support is critical for community wellbeing.
However, in Hobsons Bay there is a ‘mental health services desert’, with little to no free or low-cost mental health services for young people when compared to other Melbourne metropolitan areas. The nearest ‘headspace’ services are in Werribee and Sunshine – up to an hour away by public transport and both with long waiting lists.
Council is seeking our community’s fair share of state and federal government investment in youth mental health services to address the growing mental health crisis faced by young people aged 12-25 in Hobsons Bay and the inner west of Melbourne.
The need in Hobsons Bay and the inner west is very real.
- In 2021, ten percent of 15 to 24-year-olds in Hobsons Bay reported having a long-term mental health condition.
- Psychological distress is higher among young people in Hobsons Bay than in Western Melbourne and Victoria overall.
- Young women in Hobsons Bay aged 15-24 were most likely to be hospitalised for psychological distress, with 1,792 per 100,000 presenting to emergency departments for mental and behavioural disorders.
More Local, Timely and Affordable Youth Mental Health Services for Hobsons Bay’ campaign
From 10 July to 20 August 2023, we asked young people and the community about their experience in accessing youth mental health services in Hobsons Bay and surrounding suburbs, so we could demonstrate the need for more local, timely and affordable services in our community to the state and federal government.
A summary of the feedback we received is here(PDF, 3MB)
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback during this time.
Find out more and support our campaign for more services for Hobsons Bay.
- We received a positive response from the Federal Department of Health and Aged Care and are always hopeful for more news about a headspace service or an increase in youth mental health support services for our community.
Provision of youth mental health services is underpinned by Council's commitments including:
- Council Plan 2021-25 commitment
- Council Budget allocation
- A Fairer Hobsons Bay 2019-23
Youth Mental Health connects with the following policies and strategies:
- Victoria's 10 Year Mental Health Plan
- National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Plan