Nominations are now closed for the 2023 Hobsons Bay Citizen of the Year awards. The winners will be announced at the Australia Day citizenship ceremony on Thursday 26 January 2023.
The awards celebrate the outstanding contributions or achievements individuals make to the Hobsons Bay community.
This could be through community service, sport, arts and culture, environment, health and wellbeing, business and economic development, and other areas that contribute to improving our city.
As well as highlighting the excellent work being accomplished by individuals in the community, the awards also give the recipients the opportunity to raise awareness in the community of their interests and vision for the future.
Criteria and eligibility
There are two categories:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year.
To be eligible, nominees must be Australian citizens who live, work, volunteer or study in Hobsons Bay. Hobsons Bay City Council staff members and Councillors are not eligible to be nominated or to nominate.
Nominations from previous recipients or nominees of other Council awards are welcome. Previous award winners will not be accepted (unless in exceptional circumstances).
Nominees for Young Citizen of the Year must be 26 years or younger on 26 January 2023 and nominees for Citizen of the Year must be 27 years or older on 26 January 2023.
You can only nominate someone else. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
The award recipients in each category must be willing to undergo a Victoria Police criminal records check (paid for by Council).
- Tuesday 11 October 2022 – nominations open
- Sunday 11 December 2022, 5pm – nominations close
- Thursday 26 January 2023 – winners announced at the Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony at Williamstown Town Hall
Award criteria and assessment of nominations
The selection committee will evaluate nominees against the following four criteria:
- Has the nominee made a significant contribution to the City of Hobsons Bay over this year and /or a number of years?
- Has the nominee made a significant contribution to the general community beyond Hobsons Bay over this year and/or number of years?
- How much potential does the nominee have to use the award to benefit the community?
- To what extent will the city benefit from having this individual as an ambassador for the city?
- Does the nominee's cause reflect the priorities of the city?
The selection committee will comprise the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and the most recent recipients of the Hobsons Bay Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year (or if those persons are unavailable then the next most recent recipient in each category).
Announcement of winners
Award recipients will be announced at the Australia Day citizenship ceremony on Thursday 26 January 2023 and their details published on Council’s website and social media channels.