Frequently Asked Questions

A photograph depicting the front of Williamstown Town Hall and forecourt, it is a sunny day

Williamstown Town Hall 

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the hire of the Williamstown Town Hall, these questions will help you with any doubts you encounter.

For more explanation on these or any other questions feel free to contact us.

What is needed to secure my booking?

After confirming that the date is available with our office, we will send you a link to our online booking form (FORM 1). Once this form is completed we will send you a deposit request invoice via the mail. The deposit payment needs to be made as soon as possible. Once Council has received this payment, your booking of the venue is confirmed. 

How can I pay my deposit or venue hire invoice?

An invoice can be paid by BPAY, at an Australia Post outlet or in person at the Altona Civic Centre. Cheques may be possible, but payment must be clear ten business days prior to the commencement of your booking. 

Can I get a discount?

If you are a registered not-for-profit organisation you are eligible to receive a discount on your Venue Hire. You will need to provide all relevant registration documentation when making your booking. 

Can I have a site inspection, and how long will it go for?

Yes, you can organise a site inspection. Call us a few days in advance to organise a time, as we are unfortunately not able to facilitate drop-in site visits or meetings. Hirers typically have a thirty-minute site visit before or soon after booking and a second closer to the event date to cover additional requirements. Additional inspections may be arranged, but attract an additional fee.  

What is included in my hire fee?

The basic hire includes use of the ballroom and set-up with tables and chairs.

We do not provide table cloths, chair covers, cutlery, crockery, glassware, cooking utensils, laptop computers, or tea & coffee.

Usage of the Supper Room is to be discussed with the Venues Department and access is subject to COVID restrictions.

Wifi is included in the use of the Town Hall.

Can I use the stage lights?

Stage lighting may be used when an A/V Technical Package with technicians is booked.


Do you have a piano?

Yes, we have an upright piano in the supper room and a grand piano stored. If the grand piano is required, this can be moved and tuned at the hirers expense. At least three weeks notice is needed to move the piano. 

Do you have preferred suppliers, such as caterers, linen suppliers, technicians or decorators?

Yes, please contact us for details. 

Do you provide linen (table cloths)?

No, but we can provide some preferred suppliers. 

Will tables and chairs be set up?

Venue staff will generally setup tables and chairs prior to your arrival, though in some instances, chairs may be being set once you arrive. 

Can I drop things off before my event or store them afterwards?

No, access is only available during your booking time and we are unable to receive deliveries earlier in the day. Leaving hirer or contactors belongings behind after an event will attract a fee of up to a full day’s hire per day that belongings are left behind. Any uncollected belongings will be disposed of, with the hirer liable for associated costs. 

Do you have ticketing facilities?

Yes, please contact the Venue Services Officer to discuss. 


I want to use the foyer, what’s the capacity?

Due to COVID restrictions our foyer cannot currently be used for pre-dinner drinks, box office or stall holders etc.


Do you have a designated children’s area?

No, there is no children’s area. Children must be kept under adult supervision at all times and not be allowed to play in high-risk areas. If you are planning an event where children are the main audience, please get in touch to discuss how we can best accommodate your needs.


Are the Town Hall, Balcony, Stage, and Meeting Rooms accessible?

The Ballroom, Supper Room, Meeting Rooms and Council Chambers are accessible. There are 9 steps to the stage and 36 steps to the Balcony, which has tiered theatre seating.   


Do you have children’s change tables?

Yes, there are three at the Town Hall, one in the Ballroom Foyer Women’s Toilet, and one in each of the accessible toilets on the ground floor. 


Can I have a food truck, van, trailer or BBQ?

No, all food preparation and sales must occur within the Town Hall itself.  


Do we have access to the kitchen?

Under current venue COVID rules food must be table service provided by a catering business/ restaurant.

There is a caterer’s kitchenette with stove and oven included, the commercial kitchen must be booked and the caterers registered in advance. There is one cool room accessible for hirers which may be used with the commercial kitchen booking. There are additional charges associated with the use of the commercial kitchen. 

Do you have urns?

The venue has urns that may be used to heat water. The venue urns cannot be used to heat coffee, tea or milk. Urns for this purpose will need to be brought in by the hirer separately. 

What is not allowed to be brought into the venue?

Venue staff may advise hirers to remove any item from the venue. Such restricted items include; any flames (including tea light candles), confetti or glitter (including when used as table decoration), throwing rice, straw bales, talcum powder, smoke or haze machines, bouncy castles, helium or other balloons, BBQs or animals (except guide dogs). 

What is allowed in terms of decorations?

Free standing objects, fairy lights, LED candles, centrepieces without confetti or flames, photo booths and plants are among the objects that hirers often decorate the space with, please get in touch and discuss your ideas so that we may together work out a plan to personalise the space. Posters and banners may be hung from the lighting bar at the rear of stage, or suspended from shot bags at the front of stage. If using the projector, this will project onto the cyclorama which may be used for sponsor’s logos etc. 


Can I bring balloons?

In accordance with responsible environmental management and the terms and conditions of hire and use, balloons may not be brought into the venue, this includes for their use as decoration, sculptures, table pieces or children’s entertainment. Alternative decorations such as bunting, flowers, flags, origami or crepe paper sculptures may be used to personalise the venue or decorate your tables in your colours and style.

Can I stick my advertising/ run sheet to the wall or window?

No, nothing may be stuck to any surface, including with blu-tac, sticky tape or drawing pins.

Do I need security?

Many events at the Town Hall do not require security. Events with BYO alcohol, high capacity and long duration, or other events deemed to be medium or high risk may require security in attendance. Guards will be booked by Council and added to your account. Volunteer guards may not be used in the venue.

Where can we park?

There is parking available at both the front and rear of the Town Hall. Attendees must abide the timing restrictions signed in the carpark.

Staff and patrons must abide directional signage when entering or exiting the car park or using streets in proximity the Town Hall.

There is no parking available for patrons or guests in Lenore Crescent and we request that you inform your guests or patrons not to park there. 

Guests are advised to utilise public transport options where possible. A maximum of five parking permits will be made available to general hirers, with a maximum of 15 available to fairs, expos or sales.

Local laws parking inspectors are active in the area and patrons or staff parking in restricted areas will be fined. 

Do I need a liquor license, and what is Partysafe registration?

You need a liquor license if you are selling alcohol or it is included in the ticket price. Partysafe is a Victoria Police initiative designed to assist those holding potential risky functions. If you are holding a function where alcohol is to be consumed and don’t require a liquor license, please go to the Victoria Police website and complete the online form. 

What time can we serve drinks until, and when do our guests need to leave?

All patrons must have left the premises by 12am Sunday – Thursday and 12.30am Friday – Saturday. Programmed events must be finished 30 minutes earlier and drinks service an additional 15 minutes earlier to allow patrons time to finish their drinks and vacate the building in a timely fashion. Patrons should be aware that the Town Hall is located in a mixed residential area and should leave in an orderly manner and gather in any of the outdoor areas of the precinct after the event has concluded.  

How long is my hire, and what happens if we go over time?

A standard minimum hire is 12 hours and any additional time will be billed per hour or part thereof. 

Why do I need a Hall Keeper, why can’t I just pick up a key to the venue?

It is council policy that a representative is in attendance at all events at the Town Hall. As the venue is heritage listed, we require a Hall Keeper present at all times to ensure that the conditions of hire are followed, protecting the venue for future users. 

What do the Hall Keepers do on the day?

The Hall Keeper will provide you with information regarding the facility, ensure that doors are locked properly, bathrooms refreshed, safety procedures are observed and that the asset is preserved. They are not provided to manage event waste, or to act as a waiter, security guard or bartender. They have undertaken first aid and evacuation training and are familiar with all exits to the venue and will be able to coordinate an evacuation of the building in an emergency. 

What do I do with rubbish, recycling and kitchen waste?

Throughout your event, rubbish and recycling should be kept separate and placed in the relevant 240L bins provided.

Caterers must manage their own waste and dispose of their rubbish in the bins provided. Under no circumstances is food waste to be left in the kitchen. Efforts should be made to minimise waste and hirers will be billed for excessive waste disposal.