Council community support package #2
Council has released a second package to support the people of Hobsons Bay during the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. The package focusses on further measures to alleviate financial pressure on local businesses, community groups and sporting clubs. It also supports some of our city’s most vulnerable community members and shines a light on the resilience of our Hobsons Bay community.
Financial and network assistance for local businesses
Our local businesses continue to be hit hard by the effects of the Coronavirus. With further business closures and shut downs of some non-essential services, Council has introduced a range of initiatives intended to help provide further relief to financial burden being experienced across the municipality.
- Full rental rebate until 30 June 2020 for eligible business tenants paying rent in a Council-owned building
- Refund of food premises registration fees already paid in the current financial year
- Refund of outdoor trading permit fees already paid in the current financial year
- Interest free deferral of the next two quarterly rates payments (May and September) for eligible local business (via the Hardship Policy)
- Waiver of planning application fees for the next six months for new start-up businesses
- Creation of online local business network forum as part of our Crisis Business Support Network to connect with each other and share government updates
- Establishment of a business roundtable comprising local professionals and traders, to advise Council of ongoing business support needs
For more information on Council's support packages or to discuss your business needs, please contact the economic development team at email@example.com
Sporting clubs and community groups support package
Many sporting clubs, recreational and community groups across the city won’t be up and running for some time. Council is providing some financial relief and support during this uncertain time.
- Full rental rebate until at least 30 June 2020 for eligible sporting groups, community groups and not for profit organisations paying rent in a Council-owned building
- Waiver of winter ground allocation fees
- Financial assistance towards sporting club utility fees, eligibility applies
- Online club development sessions
- Support with sporting club activation once restrictions are lifted and activities resume
Ongoing Support for our Vulnerable Communities
Council is aware of the significant impact the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is having on the Hobsons Bay community, especially on our more vulnerable community members. We have put measures in place to reach out to those residents who may need extra support during this particularly challenging time.
- Identifying and supporting more vulnerable households within Hobsons Bay, while continuing outreach wellbeing checks and social support with existing clients via phone
- Provision of emergency relief response referrals to external agencies and internal services
- Ongoing and increased access to immunisation services via an online booking system
- Syringe disposal kits offered to eligible delivered meals and planned activity group (PAG) clients
- Activity packs (exercise programs, craft etc.) distributed to PAG clients
- Online new parent groups and virtual weekly playgroups
- 'Play Kit' delivered to all Playgroup families while practising social distancing
- Resources and social support for navigating Coronavirus for young people and families
A reminder that last week, Council announced the below support measures and encourages the community to utilise these services.
- Fast tracking of delivered ‘meals on wheels’ for eligible new clients while their registrations are being processed
- Youth mental health online counselling service
- Maternal child health consultations delivered via phone and/or online platform
Hobsons Bay has Heart Facebook page
The people of Hobsons Bay are invited to share stories of positivity, resilience, community spirit and kindness on a Hobsons Bay City Council Facebook page entitled Hobsons Bay has Heart.
The ability to connect with other people has become more difficult. Council wants to support the Hobsons Bay community to keep connected by shining a light on community groups, individuals
or businesses offering support or goodwill to their fellow community members. This could be through random acts of kindness, the provision of online learning or activities, or offers to volunteer or assist others.
Community members and businesses can post their messages, words, photos, videos or artwork directly to the Hobsons Bay has Heart Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/hobsonsbayhasheart/ or use the hashtag #hobsonsbayhasheart as a public post on Facebook or Instagram.
Council will continue to find ways to support our community and we thank people for their feedback to date.