Filming Permits

Filming Permits.jpg

Hobsons Bay offers a variety of locations suitable for filming and photography, including heritage streetscapes, coastal landscapes, park lands and industrial landscapes. Permission is required for all filming and photography on Council-managed open space, streets and facilities.

All relevant application details, including site plans and traffic management plans, should be submitted at the time of application.

Please read the filming guidelines(PDF, 232KB) for Hobsons Bay for details of the application process, filming fees, and terms and conditions.

Low impact filming

If your filming activities meet all of the low impact filming criteria, complete a low impact filming request form. A minimum of seven (7) business days' notice is required, prior to the proposed filming activity.

The low impact filming criteria is as follows:

  • the filming or photography activity involves eight (8) people or less on-site (inclusive of all production crew and talent)
  • you have no more than one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment
  • no lighting, camera tracking devices, vehicles, large props or generators are permitted
  • drones are not permitted
  • your activities do not adversely disrupt stakeholders (traders, residents and businesses) or motorists
  • all public pathways/footpaths/cycling paths and roads must not be blocked - a minimum of 1.8 metres is required on footpaths at all times
  • you have consent from those directly affected
  • you must provide notification of low impact filming a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to the proposed filming activity.

Fees do not apply for low impact filming. 

Applying for a filming permit

You can now also submit an application in our new portal, which we're currently beta testing. To give it a try, visit My Hobsons Bay Hub.

If your activity does not meet the low impact criteria above, complete an online filming application form at least seven (7) days prior to the filming date.

Applications involving high impact activities including traffic management and filming in sensitive areas, need to be provided at least 21 days prior to the filming date. 

All sections of the form must be completed, and supporting information must be submitted with the form. This includes, but is not limited to, public liability insurance, site plans, running sheet, and stakeholder notifications and traffic management if being used. 

Permission from other authorities

Victoria Police needs to be notified of any filming activity involving the use of firearms, weapons, mock police scenes, special effects (e.g., explosives, smoke), UAVs/drones, or any other activity that may cause public concern.

For filming on privately managed locations, permission must be sought from the relevant authority. Other authorities managing land within Hobsons Bay include, but is not limited to, Parks Victoria, Melbourne Water, VicTrack and Museums Victoria.


Use of UAV or drones

For information on use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones during filming, visit the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) site. Please provide a site map of the launch/landing zone with your application, together with the licensed drone operator documents.


Filming and photography fees

Fees apply to filming in the municipality. Fees are waived for low impact filming, films which promote the city and some student films. Please refer to the Filming Guidelines for further information.


For further information on filming or photography, please contact the Events Unit on 1300 179 944 or via email to