- All food businesses must comply with the Food Act 1984.
- A food business is any business involved in the sale, storage and preparation of food or beverages.
- Your food business registration is applicable from 1 October to 30 September, the following year.
- Should you intend to purchase an existing business, you must ensure that it is currently registered with Council.
- Purchasing an existing food business requires you to transfer the food registration.
- Follow the transfer application process to transfer the business registration into your/ your company name.
Training & Record keeping
Ensure you have the following training and record keeping forms before you purchase a food business.
- Class 4: No records are required
- Class 3: Require minimum food safety records to be completed
- Class 1 & 2: Require Food Safety Program & Food Safety Supervisor(PDF, 367KB)
- Food Safety Template can be purchased from Council or downloaded from health.vic
You need to transfer your business registration with Council and comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, if it is a;
- motel or hotel
- bed and breakfast
- boarding or rooming house
- holiday camp
- student dormitory
and, where there are 4 or more fee paying occupants in the case of a rooming/boarding house and 6 or more in the other classes of accommodation.
Step 1: Request for Inspection and Information
- A request for current information and inspection relating to the business you wish to purchase is recommended.
- A fee will apply to complete this process. The fee will depend on the type of business you are transferring. Payment can be made when completing the online form.
|Tattooing & Piercings
|Hair & Beauty Therapies
- You may apply by completing the forms below.
1) Please print and complete the consent form. This form must be signed by the current owner so we can release the information to you the intended purchaser.
2) Complete the online Request for Inspection and Information form. Ensure you have the consent form signed and scanned ready to upload, and your credit card ready for payment.
Step 2: Transfer Application Form
- To apply for transfer of registration the business you wish to purchase must currently be registered with Council.
- The application for transfer of registration must be completed and signed by the current and proposed proprietor.
- Please download the relevant transfer application form for the type of business you wish to purchase.
- Please allow a minimum of 10 working days to process the application.
Food Act - Class 1 & 2(PDF, 232KB)
Food Act - Class 3(PDF, 159KB)
Public Health & Wellbeing Act -(PDF, 72KB) Hair, Beauty and Skin Penetration
Public Health & Wellbeing Act - Prescribed Accommodation
Step 3: Council Processing
- Details form the transfer application form will be entered into our registration database.
- An officer may contact you if further information is required.
Step 4: Fees determined and Invoice Produced
- Transfer application fee is half the registration fee the current proprietor paid. Their registration fee would have been determined by the classification or business activities conducted.
- Once the transfer application has been processed an invoice will be generated and mailed out to you.
Step 5: Inspection
- Once the transfer registration fee has been paid an officer will be in contact with you to arrange an appointment for inspection. Please allow a minimum of 10 working days for inspection to be arranged.
- An inspection report will be provided to you that may outline any compliance issues.
Step 6: Registration
- Once your premises complies with inspection it will be registered with Council.
- A transfer registration certificate will be mailed to you.
- One month after registration another inspection will be conducted.
Should you require any advise on purchasing an existing business, please contact Council's Public Health Unit.
||Hobsons Bay City Council
||115 Civic Pde
|| Altona VIC 3018