Williamstown Historical Museum
The Williamstown Historical Society commenced in 1956 and opened the museum in 1963 to preserve and promote knowledge of the town’s history. The collection includes photographs, documents, and artefacts from the 1700s to the present day, as well as published works related to the town’s history.
Williamstown was established as a “government town” with Immigration, pilots, customs, water police, tugboats, boat-building and ship building, Ports and Harbour yard, Astronomical Observatory, Railway workshops, Victorian Navy, Militia, Artillery, Rifle Range along with iron foundries, petroleum facilities, S.E.C. power station, etc. Such diversity is probably covered by no other Victorian Historical Society.
The museum is temporarily closed.
5 Electra Street, Williamstown
P:(03) 9397 1534