Special Planning Committee
When a planning application is being considered by Council and there are 11 or more objections to that application, or in other special circumstances, the application will be referred to the Special Planning Committee (SPC) for a decision.
The quorum required for the SPC meeting is three Councillors. The SPC exercises delegated powers given to it by the full Council. The SPC usually meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 6pm. However, an SPC meeting will only be conducted if there is an application that requires a decision. Council's website contains information relating to scheduled meetings, agendas and minutes.
All objectors to a planning permit application requiring an SPC decision are invited to present their concerns at an SPC meeting. In addition to these verbal presentations by objectors, the issues raised in all written objections are also carefully considered by the SPC members, prior to making a decision. The applicant is given an opportunity to speak in favour of their proposal and is given the right of reply in relation to the objector’s concerns.
A Council officer’s report is tabled at the meeting. This report is available at local libraries and on Greenlight from the Friday prior to the SPC meeting. The officer’s report normally canvasses the following matters:
- outlines the application
- notes the objections and the grounds of objection
- evaluates the proposal against relevant strategies and policies e.g. ResCode, the Neighbourhood Character Study, the Heritage Study
- contains a recommendation (including draft permit conditions or grounds of refusal) that the SPC can accept, modify or reject
Once the SPC has made a decision on the planning application, both the applicant and the objectors have the right of appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), if they are not satisfied with the SPC decision. Details of the VCAT process are provided to all parties as part of the material accompanying the written decision relating to the SPC decision.
Next SPC Meeting
Tuesday 28 May 2019
Below are copies of the most recent agendas the SPC has considered.
- Agenda Tuesday 28 May 2019(PDF, 13MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 30 April 2019(PDF, 19MB)
- Agenda Monday 8 April 2019(PDF, 8MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 26 March 2019(PDF, 20MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 26 February 2019(PDF, 18MB)
- Agenda Thursday 13 December 2018(PDF, 27MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 27 November 2018(PDF, 16MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 25 September 2018(PDF, 8MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 28 August 2018(PDF, 36MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 24 July 2018(PDF, 25MB)
- Agenda Tuesday 22 May 2018(PDF, 6MB)
Below are copies of the minutes from the most recent SPC meetings.