VicSmart - a fast planning permit process for straightforward applications.
VicSmart is a streamlined assessment process for straightforward planning permit applications. Classes of application are identified in the planning scheme as being VicSmart and have specified requirements for information, assessment processes and decision guidelines. Please contact us to discuss your proposal’s eligibility for VicSmart processing prior to submitting your application.
Key features of VicSmart include:
- A 10 business day permit process
- Applications are not advertised
Find out more about the new VicSmart Planning Assessment clauses - VicSmart - a simpler planning permit provisions.
What categories of application are suitable for VicSmart processing?
Below is a list of proposals that are eligible for VicSmart, including those implemented by the State Government in March 2017. The VicSmart clauses provide minimum application requirements that must be submitted when making an application, its important that you make sure you submit all the required information.
It's also important that you check both the zone and the overlay, together with the Advertising Signage and Car Parking provisions (if applicable) to see if there are any other permit requirements. A proposal may be exempt under one class of application, however trigger a permit under a separate part of the Planning Scheme.
- subdivide land to realign the common boundary between two lots.
- subdivide land into lots each containing an existing building or car parking space.
- subdivide land with an approved development into two lots.
Realign boundary - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 109KB)
Subdivide land into lots containing existing building or car space - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 99KB)
Two lot subdivision with approved development - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 109KB)
Buildings and works
- some types of industrial development with an estimated cost of works under $1,000,000
- some types of commercial and industrial development with an estimated cost of works under $500,000
- if the works are on land greater than 30 metres from a residential zone
- minor works associated with land covered by an Environmental Significance Overlay or a Design and Development Overlay
- buildings and works in a Special Building Overlay
Buildings and works in a Residential Zone - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 374KB)
Buildings and works in an Industrial, Commercial, Special Use or Comprehensive Development Zone - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 226KB)
Buildings and works in an Overlay - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 326KB)
Construct a Fence
- front fences associated with dwellings that are within 3 metres of a street
- front fences located within a Heritage Overlay
Fence in a Residential Zone or Heritage Overlay - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 146KB)
Minor buildings and works in a Heritage Overlay
- demolishing an outbuilding or fence
- externally altering a non-contributory building
- external painting
- constructing a carport, garage, pergola, verandah, deck, shed or similar structure
- minor works such as domestic services (e.g - air conditioners), rainwater tanks and solar panels
- constructing a driveway
- installing a swimming pool or spa
- lopping a tree
Minor works within a Heritage Overlay - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 160KB)
- displaying certain types of signs in commercial areas
- displaying a sign in a Heritage Overlay
- displaying a sign greater than 30 metres from a residential area
Display a sign in a Commercial or Industrial Zone or Heritage Overlay - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 148KB)
Car parking reduction
- A reduction in the statutory parking requirements by no more than ten spaces
Reduce a car parking requirement - VicSmart Checklist(PDF, 205KB)