Truganina Explosives Reserve is located on 17 hectares of Victoria Crown land at the mouth of Laverton Creek in Altona, on the inner western shore of Port Phillip Bay. From 1901 to 1962 the site was used for the handling and shipping of explosives. Explosives were carried by rail from Deer Park Explosives factory to the Laverton Railway station. Truganina Explosives Reserve is rich in cultural and industrial heritage.
Hobsons Bay City Council organised a workshop in 2010 with Councillors, Truganina Explosives Reserve Preservation Society, Altona/Laverton Historical Society, National Trust, local residents and aboriginal members to help guide the future management and development of the reserve.
Hobsons Bay City Council is now in the early stages of starting to commence construction. The early stages of construction includes the implementation of low raised boardwalks in key areas where soil contamination is high to prevent disturbance to the soil and to protect the health and safety of visitors. The low timber boardwalks will protect existing landforms, provide safe controlled access for the community, allow visitors to access significant heritage features such as explosive mounds and protect existing vegetation within the reserve.
The boardwalks are indicated in the Truganina Master Plan(DOCX, 1MB). The sections highlighted in red are the upcoming boardwalk works.
Queen St, Altona 3018 View Map
Queen St ,