Public Interest Disclosure

The purpose of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 2012 (the PID Act)  is to enable people to make disclosures about improper conduct within the public sector without fear of reprisal. The Act aims to ensure openness and accountability by encouraging people to make disclosures and protecting them when they do.

Council’s statement of support for persons making a public interest disclosure

Hobsons Bay City Council is committed to the aims and objectives of the Public Interest Disclosures Act 2012. Council does not tolerate improper conduct by its employees or Councillors and will not accept reprisals against those who come forward to disclose such conduct.

Council recognises the value of transparency and accountability in its administrative and management practices, and supports the making of disclosures that reveal corrupt conduct, conduct involving a substantial mismanagement of public resources, or conduct involving a substantial risk to public health and safety or the environment. 

Council will take all reasonable steps to protect people who make such disclosures from any detrimental action in reprisal for making the disclosure. It will also respect the rights of the person who is the subject of the disclosure, particularly their right to a fair and impartial investigation.

How to make a public interest disclosure

Disclosures about Councillors or the Chief Executive Officer

Disclosures about improper conduct by Councillors must be made directly to the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC) or the Victorian Ombudsman.

To make a disclosure to IBAC, phone 1300 735 135 and request a form be posted to you, or complete the secure online form, or download a complaint form from IBAC's website.

To make a disclosure to the Victorian Ombudsman complete the secure online form.

Disclosures about Council Staff

Disclosures of improper conduct or detrimental action by Council or its employees can be made directly to IBAC as above or made confidentially to:

Who can make a disclosure?

Any member of the public or an employee of Council can make a disclosure as long as they have grounds to believe that improper or corrupt conduct has occurred.

Disclosures can be made in writing, including emails, verbally in person, or over the phone.

Any letters hand delivered or sent to Council should be clearly marked ‘CONFIDENTIAL – ATTENTION PUBLIC INTEREST DISCLOSURE COORDINATOR – TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE ONLY’.

All information will be managed and stored in the strictest of confidence.

Need more information?

If you want to speak to a Council officer you can refer your enquiry to Council’s Public Interest Disclosure Coordinator on 1300 179 944.