Preschool Field Officer (PSFO)
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council services are changing.
Information about Council's response to Coronavirus and the effect on services can be found here.
The Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) supports the inclusion of children with additional needs in all Victorian State funded four year old kindergarten programs in children centres, long day care and community kindergartens.
The Preschool Field Officer is funded by the Department of Education and Training (DET) and Hobsons Bay City Council. The PSFO has extensive experience in early childhood development with a background in Early Childhood teaching. There is no fee for the PSFO service.
The role of the PSFO is?
- to engage with the early childhood educators, not to work one on one with children
- actively build the capacity of the educators
- support partnerships between educators and families in their programs
- attend kindergarten programs and carry out play-based observations of referred children
- assist with the development of strategies for educators to include in their individual learning and development programs for children with additional needs
- support and resource families
- support educators and families in applying for additional needs funding
- provide information, support and resources to educators
- facilitate opportunities and encourage educators to engage in professional development
Criteria for accessing this service?
Children with additional needs, including:
- social or emotional issues
- speech, language or communication concerns
- developmental delays
- advanced abilities and skills
- challenging behaviours
- a diagnosed disability
- vulnerable children who attend a state funded kindergarten program and are not currently accessing early childhood intervention services
How can this service be accessed?
If you are an Early Childhood Teacher please see the PSFO contact details below.
If you are the parent or guardian of a child with additional needs, who meets the criteria, you are encouraged to discuss these concerns with your child’s teacher. Where the parent directly contacts the PSFO service, the PSFO will liaise with the relevant Teacher to progress the referral.
All referrals must be completed and signed by parent/guardian and educator on the official PSFO Referral Form (see attachment)
If your child is already receiving support from an early intervention agency please refer to that agency for additional kindergarten support.
Preschool Field Officer Service
Hobsons Bay City Council
PO Box 21
Phone: 9932 1000