Old Laverton School Honour Board
Sons, Brothers and Friends: telling the story of the Laverton honour board
Laverton was a small farming community when war was declared in 1914. Men were eager to enlist and twenty-six local men volunteered for active service. The dedication and sacrifice of these men and their families is commemorated by an honour board, unveiled at the Old Laverton School (then known as the Laverton State School) in 1922 and still displayed there today.
This project, which was supported by the Victorian Government, the Victoria Veterans Council and Hobsons Bay City Council enabled researchers to uncover stories of courage and sacrifice and how the war effort was supported at home. These stories are presented to the community through a series of interpretation panels, displayed at the Old Laverton School alongside the conserved honour board.
The honour board can be viewed at open days throughout the year or via appointment.
For further information email email@example.com or call 1300 179 944.
The Old Laverton School, corner Kiora St and Cameron Ave, Altona Meadows.
Click here to see the interpretation panels(PDF, 44MB)