City of Williamstown: 100 years
2019 marks 100 years since Williamstown became a city.
The city was proclaimed by His Excellency the State Governor, the Hon. Sir Arthur Stanley on 17 May 1919. At the same time he unveiled a collective photograph in memory of local servicemen killed during World War One and officially opened the new Town Hall. The Governor was presented with a leather bound proclamation and asked to sign the parchment. The official birth of the city was celebrated by 2000 residents.
The beginning of Williamstown was as a municipal borough, created in 1856 and incorporated Newport and Spotswood, although they were sparsely populated until the 1880s. The borough was proclaimed a town in 1886 before becoming a city in 1919.
The current photographic honour board was unveiled in 1924 and recently restored. More information can be found on it www.sonsofwilliamstown.com.au
A program to celebrate Williamstown 100 Years a City is part of Heritage Hobsons Bay visit www.hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au/heritagehobsonsbay