Hobsons Bay City Council - How to contest fines

How to contest fines

How to contest fines

Internal review

If you believe there is a good reason for you not to pay a parking, local law or litter infringement notice, you may apply for an internal review.

In regard to parking matters please read Parking, the Road Rules and You (PDF, 62KB)(PDF, 62KB) before deciding to proceed.

In accordance with the Infringements Act 2006, an infringement notice can only be reviewed once.

To contest an infringement, you can:

If you write to us, your letter must provide the following information:

  • your name and postal address
  • the infringement notice number
  • the offence as stated on the infringement notice
  • your car registration number
  • an explanation of why you believe the infringement notice should be reviewed
  • any supporting evidence

Please send correspondence to:

Hobsons Bay City Council
PO Box 21
Altona VIC 3018

If you wish to contest a parking infringement notice but you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, you must first supply one of the following documents:


Internal review process

The internal review process can take up to 90 days and you will receive a written response by mail to your postal address advising you of the outcome.

Please note that at times we may require additional information from you to support your application for internal review. You should provide this information by the specified date. If it is not received, a decision will be made based on the information at hand.

Should the infringement be upheld, you will be advised of a new payment date.

The decision to review is final. Depending on the decision you will be advised as to your options. No further correspondence will be entered into or acknowledged on the subject of the applicant for internal review after the notice of decision has been served.

If you decide to pay the infringement notice by the due date you don’t need to take any other action. However, if payment is not received by the due date, steps will be taken to ensure payment and you may incur additional costs.

Please note: the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Councillors are unable to respond to letters or emails about fines. All requests for internal review must be made in writing and directed to the Hobsons Bay City Council, Local Laws, PO Box 21, Altona Vic 3018.


Having the case heard by a court

You can choose to have your matter dealt with in the Magistrates' Court by notifying the Hobsons Bay City Council in writing to the above address.

Please note that additional costs may apply.

If you do not pay a parking, local law or litter infringement notice or take any other action (for example, contesting the infringement, requesting a payment extension or electing to go to court) by the due date on the notice, steps will be taken to ensure payment and you may incur additional costs.


Contact us

Contact us at Hobsons Bay City Council

Related Content
Rate this page

Was the information useful to you?