Truganina Explosives Reserve Altona
Truganina Explosives Reserve was established in 1901 for the storage and handling of commercial explosives and is now managed by the Council.
The Council has been working for three years to decontaminate the soil surrounding the keeper’s residence at the Truganina Explosives Reserve, and following extensive works to remove contaminated soil and replace it with clean fill, the full potential of the site can now be realised and enjoyed by visitors.
The reserve was primarily used for the handling and shipping of explosives from 1901 to 1962. It was later used by the Chemicals Management Branch of the Occupational Health and Safety Authority.
In the early 1990s the site was declared surplus and the state government began preparations to sell the land for residential development. Following a campaign by the Council and local residents, the state government declared that the site would remain in public hands, and in the year 2000, it appointed the Council as the Committee of Management.
The reserve was officially re-opened Sunday, 1st November 2009, and is located at Queen Street, Altona.