Hard Waste Service Guide
Hobsons Bay City Council operates an on demand hard waste collection service. All items collected are taken into a transfer station within the municipality and all recyclables are then taken out.
Each property is entitled to one free collection per financial year (1st July to 30th June). Collections will take place on your general waste collection day.
Please note it must be booked by 12pm Friday the week prior to when you would like your hard waste collected or set any preferred date throughout the year providing it falls the same day as our waste collection.
For further information, please refer to the Hard Waste Collection Brochure
How do I book a hard waste collection?
Please contact the Council on 9932 1000.
You will need to tell the Council what items are to be collected and set a date for the collection. The Council will send you a Hard Waste Collection Service brochure, a booking reference number and date of collection.
What we can collect
- Household furniture, appliances and toys
- Mattresses and bed bases
- Pottery, ceramics and chinaware
- Hot water units
- Roofing iron
- Scrap metal, tools and equipment
- Small amount of timber (bundled and tied)
- Tree stumps (less than 30cm diameter),
- Branches (bundled and tied, maximum length of 1.5m)
What we cannot collect
- No fencing material
- No chemicals, paints, oils, automotive fluids, car batteries
- No gas bottles, asbestos, ashes or other hazardous material
- No commercial, business or household garbage
- No paint tins, building materials, bricks, tiles, soil and rocks
- No engine blocks
Criteria for collection
Place hard waste in a neat group in an accesible area towards the front of your property, either in your front yard or driveway, not more than 10 metres from the property's front boundary. Ensure vehilces are not obstructing driveways, gates are unlocked and dogs are not within the area where the hard waste is to be collected.