Hobsons Bay City Council - Road & footpath maintenance

Road & footpath maintenance

Road & footpath maintenance

Road maintenance

Council undertakes maintenance of all constructed roads in the municipality with the exception of arterial roads which are the responsibility of VicRoads.

Any potholes or maintenance requirements of Council controlled roads may be reported directly to Council on 9932 1000 or reported online.

Council undertakes a range of road maintenance for activities including: 

  • road repairs
  • pothole patches
  • footpath safety repairs
  • Drainage maintenance (including kerb and channel)

Arterial road maintenance

 VicRoads took over responsibility and maintenance for all arterial roads in June 2018.

This includes street sweeping, litter control, grass cutting, weed spraying and tree care which was previously undertaken by Council by agreement with VicRoads. VicRoads have now engaged a contractor to complete this work which is completed to a much lower standard than Council.

For notification of hazards or matters requiring maintenance in the arterial road network contact VicRoads Monday to Friday (working hours) on 9313 1333 or after hours and weekends VicRoads Traffic Management Centre on 13 11 70 or 9855 7500 or visit www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

Arterial roads that fall under the control of VicRoads:

  • Blackshaws Road
  • Central Avenue
  • Civic Parade (Millers Road to Maidstone Street)
  • Dohertys Road
  • Douglas Parade (North Road to Simcock Avenue)
  • Grieve Parade (Kororoit Creek Road to Princes Highway)
  • Hyde Street
  • Kororoit Creek Road (Melbourne Road to Princes Highway)
  • Maidstone Street (Queen Street to Kororoit Creek Road)
  • Millers Road (Civic Parade to Princes Highway)
  • North Road (Melbourne Road to Douglas Parade)
  • Old Geelong Road
  • Point Cook Road
  • Queen Street (Maidstone Street to Merton Street)
  • Melbourne Road (Freeway to Ferguson Street)


Any maintenance requirement, eg damaged or raised footpath, may be reported to Council directly on 9932 1000 or lodge your complaint about the footpath online.


Laneways that are unmade (unsurfaced) are only maintained to a trafficable standard, this is a lower standard than the rest of the road network. This means there will be sections of laneways that hold water or may be uneven which will not require intervention from Council. Council has a rolling program to place and compact material in unconstructed laneways to ensure they are kept in this condition.

Related Content
Rate this page

Was the information useful to you?