Hobsons Bay City Council - Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

If you have a question about our services, the answer may already be available in our FAQs.

If you can’t find the information you are looking for please contact Council on 9932 1000 or email customerservice@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au.


Animals & Pets

I have a new cat or dog. How do I register it?

All cats and dogs must be registered at three months or older. To register, fill in the Domestic Animal Registration Form.

Find out more about the cost of registering a cat or dog.

How do I cancel my cat or dog registration?

If you need to cancel your cat or dog registration please contact Council on 9932 1000.

How do I pay my dog or cat registration fee?

You can include your credit card details on the cat and dog registration form or you can pay by cash, cheque or eftpos at the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre. Find out more about the cost of registering a cat or dog.

I’ve found a stray dog/cat. What should I do with it?

To report a stray cat or dog please contact Council on 9932 1000 or email customerservice@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au.

A dog in my street barks all the time. Can I report it?

To find out how to report a barking dog please see the Barking Dogs web page.

Find out more about keeping pets and animals in Hobsons Bay.


Families & children

Find out about kindergartens in Hobsons Bay or call the Kindergarten Access Officer on 9932 1000.

Find out more about services for families and children.



How do I join a Hobsons Bay library?

It’s free to join Hobsons Bay’s libraries. Proof of address is required and if you are under 18 you will also need a parent’s or guardian’s signature.

You can sign up at any branch. Find out more about joining Hobsons Bay libraries.

Where are the library branches?

Hobsons Bay has five libraries – Altona, Altona Meadows, Altona North, Newport and Williamstown.

Find out more about branch opening times.

What services are available at Hobsons Bay's libraries?

Libraries provide free access to books, magazines, audio-visual material and the internet. There is also a large collection of materials available in other languages.

Other facilities include:

  • word processing
  • photocopying
  • conference rooms
  • internet training
  • children’s storytelling
  • school holiday programs

Find out more about services at Hobsons Bay's libraries.

What can I do on a library computer?

The computers provide access to Microsoft Office eg Word, Excel etc., the internet and email. Printing facilities are also available.

What library services can I access via the internet?

You can:

  • access the library catalogue
  • reserve and renew items
  • request to buy an item
  • book a computer

Find out more about the library services you can access online.


Older people

I am having trouble carrying out household chores. Can I arrange for any assistance to help with this?

Home care provides practical housekeeping support for eligible people who are unable to complete their housework.

An assessment is required for this service and can be arranged by contacting Council on 9932 1000.

Routine cleaning can include:

  • vacuuming
  • mopping Floors
  • cleaning bathrooms/showers
  • laundry
  • shopping
  • making the beds

This service does not extend to spring/industrial cleaning.

Find out more about services for older people.


Parking permits

How do I get a ticket machine parking permit?

Council issues free permits to all Hobsons Bay residents. This allows residents to park free in the ticket machine areas along Nelson Place and the Esplanade, Williamstown, however time limits still apply.

You can either fill in the ticket machine parking permit application form(PDF, 608KB) and send it back with your documentation via mail PO Box 21, Altona, 3018 or fax 9932 1039; or you can fill in the parking permit application form online.

How do I apply for a disabled person’s parking permit?

Download and complete the disabled parking permit application form(PDF, 249KB) with your doctor and send it back via mail: PO Box 21, Altona, 3018.

Council will assess the application based on criteria set by VicRoads to determine which category permit you are eligible for.


Planning & building

How do I make a planning application?

Your planning application must include:

  • a completed application form
  • payment of the statutory planning fee
  • three copies of your development plans and elevations. These must be fully dimensioned and drawn to scale
  • one copy of the Certificate of Title for the property
  • a covering letter or report explaining your proposal

An application that is incomplete will take longer to process. More information is available in the preparing and lodging a planning application fact sheet.

For more information about planning matters, have a look at the planning fact sheets.



How do I get an additional copy of my rates notice?

You can collect a copy of your annual rates notice from the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre or a copy can be posted to you.

A copy can also be faxed to your financial institution - an administration fee of $23 applies.

Can I receive my rates notice via email?

Yes, you can. Sign up online to receive your rates by email

How do I change the mailing address for my rates notice?

You can have your rates notice sent to any address of your choice. If you want to have your notice sent to a different address to the property address, you will need to put this in writing.

You can complete a change of address form(PDF, 85KB), which you can post or email to Hobsons Bay. Hard copies are available from the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre.

Alternatively, complete an online Change of Address form.

I'm having difficulty paying my rates. Can I arrange a payment plan?

If you are having trouble paying your rates please speak to a rates officer as soon as possible on 9932 1000. You can submit a payment plan in writing or fill in an payment plan agreement form, available from the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre.

Am I eligible for a rates concession?

If you have a pension concession card or Department of Veteran Affairs card specifying war widow or totally and permanently incapacitated (TPI), you are eligible for a concession.

If the concession does not appear on your annual valuation rates notice, please contact Council on 9932 1000.

Health-care card holders are not eligible for this concession.

Find out more about rates.


Rubbish & recycling

When is my rubbish collected?

Rubbish is collected every week and recycling and green waste are collected alternate fortnights. Search the map to find your rubbish and recycling collection dates.

How do I report a missed rubbish collection?

Please report missed rubbish collections to Council on 9932 1000 or fill in the service request form for missed waste collection.

How many hard waste collections am I entitled to per year?

Residents are entitled to one free hard waste collection per property per financial year.

How do I book a hard waste collection?

To book a hard waste collection please call Council on 9932 1000.

What hard waste items will be collected?

  • intact household furniture
  • appliances, air conditioners and white goods – please remove fridge and freezer doors
  • mattresses and bed bases
  • small amounts of timber – bundled and tied and less than 1.5 metres long. Fencing timber will not be collected
  • pottery, ceramics and china
  • waste metal e.g. tins, scrap iron, steel, roof guttering less than 1.5 metres long
  • small metal car parts that weigh less than 20kg
  • metal tanks and empty drums with a maximum diameter of 40cm. Gas bottles will not be collected
  • hot water units
  • glass, mirrors and windscreens securely wrapped and labelled 'glass'
  • tools and equipment
  • toys

I’m moving into a new home. How do I arrange to get rubbish bins?

Please contact Council on 9932 1000 and give details of your moving in date so that bins can be delivered. Bins will not be delivered to unoccupied properties.

How do I get an additional rubbish bin?

An additional 120 litre rubbish bin is available for an extra cost each year. Ratepayers must agree to the additional service to the property. To order an additional rubbish bin, please contact Council on 9932 1000 or download the additional bin request form.(PDF, 109KB)

Find out more about waste and recycling.



A tree near my house is overgrown. Can Council prune it?

All street trees in Hobsons Bay are inspected and pruned to a standard specification on a two year cycle. Unless the tree is dangerous it will be pruned as part of that program.

A tree near my house is dead. Can Council arrange to have it removed?

Report the dead tree to Council on 9932 1000. An inspection will be arranged and if the dead tree is not dangerous, it will be scheduled for removal in Council's maintenance program.

Can I get a street tree planted outside my house?

If there is a space to plant a tree please call Council on 9932 1000 and your request can be placed on the future planting list. Council aims to plant approximately 1400 trees each year but not all requests can be fulfilled.

Can I get a street tree removed?

Street trees will only be removed if they are dead, dying, dangerous, inappropriate, present a health hazard or if the area is required for agreed development.

A street tree has recently been planted outside my property. Do I need to water it?

No. All trees planted by Council will be maintained for two summers after planting including weekly watering, maintenance of mulch and stakes and formative pruning.

Rate this page

Was the information useful to you?