The Council aims to reduce the harmful effects of tobacco smoking through:
- enforcing smoke free dining;
- banning smoking in designated areas of Licensed premises, work places and shopping centres;
- regulating sales to minors;
- regulating display and advertising of tobacco products;
- banning illegal tobacco products; and
- applying penalties for sales to minors.
The Council conducts regular education visits to tobacco retailers, eating establishments, licensed premises and gaming venues in regards to administering and enforcing requirements under the Tobacco Act. This includes conducting regular Test Purchases in relation to Sales to Minors and enforcing non-compliances in response to education visits and public complaints.
If you believe that a business is breaching the tobacco laws you may contact the Public Health Unit on 9932 1000. This business will then receive an education visit and may be targeted, if a tobacco retailer, during the next test purchasing run.
Workplaces are now smoke-free. The document link is a guide to complying with the legislation. Smoke free workplaces guide
Further information about Tobacco Control can be obtained from the Department of Health - Tobacco Reforms website.