Preschool Field Officer (PSFO)
What is the role of the PSFO?
The Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) is funded by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) and sponsored by Hobsons Bay City Council to support the inclusion of children with additional needs into state funded Kindergarten services. The PSFO has extensive experience in early childhood development and special education with a background in kindergarten teaching.
The main duties undertaken by the PSFO are:
- Visit kindergarten services and carry out play-based assessments of referred children;
- Assist with the development of individual programs and strategies for children with additional needs;
- Support, advise and resource families;
- Support staff and families in applying for additional needs funding;
- Provide information, support and resources to kindergarten staff; and
- Facilitate staff training to enhance professional development.
Children with additional needs, including:
- Children with challenging behaviours;
- Children with social or emotional issues;
- Children with speech, language or communication delays;
- Children with developmental delays;
- Children with advanced abilities and skills; and
- Children with disabilities.
How can this service be accessed?
If you are a kindergarten teacher please see PSFO contact details below.
If you are a parent or guardian of a child with additional needs and you believe the PSFO program could be useful to your child and the kindergarten they attend, first discuss your child’s support needs with the kindergarten teacher. You can then request your child be referred to the PSFO.
If your child is already receiving support from an early intervention agency please refer to that agency for additional kindergarten support.