I have a new cat or dog. How do I register it?

All cats and dogs must be registered at three months or older. To register, fill in the Domestic Animal Registration Form.

Find out more about the cost of registering a cat or dog.

How do I cancel my cat or dog registration?

If you need to cancel your cat or dog registration please contact Council on 9932 1000.

How do I pay my dog or cat registration fee?

You can include your credit card details on the cat and dog registration form or you can pay by cash, cheque or eftpos at the Hobsons Bay Civic Centre. Find out more about the cost of registering a cat or dog.

I’ve found a stray dog/cat. What should I do with it?

To report a stray cat or dog please contact Council on 9932 1000 or email

A dog in my street barks all the time. Can I report it?

To find out how to report a barking dog please see the Barking Dogs webpage.

Animal & pet permits

There are restrictions on the number of animals or birds you can keep, depending on the type of property you live.

Cat & dog registration

All cats and dogs over the age of three months must be registered with Council.

Dog off-leash locations

There are several parks and reserves in Hobsons Bay where dogs are allowed off-leash.

Pest control

Council's Public Health Unit provides information and advice on pest control.

Barking dogs

Barking is a natural behaviour for dogs, but excessive barking can become a nuisance to neighbours.

Snakes, bees & wasps

Information about dealing with snakes, bees and wasps on public land

Lost pets

I have lost a pet and wish to report it to Council.

Cat cages

Hobsons Bay residents can borrow cat cages from Council in order to safely and responsibly capture stray and nuisance cats