Williamstown Mechanics Institute
The Williamstown Mechanics Institute was constructed in stages from 1860.
Corner of Melbourne Road and Electra Street, Williamstown
Melways: 56 C9
The Williamstown Mechanics Institute was constructed in stages between 1860 and 1890. It is one of a small number of Mechanics Institute buildings built in Victoria. The auditorium, built in 1860, is one of Melbourne's oldest.
This exquisite venue is available for casual hire and is an ideal facility for school performances, concerts, professional and community performances, seminars and presentations. The backstage area offers a spacious green room, orchestra room or workshop space.
There are three dressing rooms which can accommodate a number of performers comfortably.
The adjoining Reading Room offers a large area which works as a foyer or after performance area.
The Williamstown Mechanics Institute is a fully equipped theatre with a full lighting rig, audio visual equipment, a cyclorama and state of the art PA system. The venue seats 182 audience members in a slightly raised seating bank.
The Reading Room offers a rare combination of warmth and heritage character, with huge windows providing natural light. This space is available as a hall for hire and is an ideal space for meetings, seminars workshops, training sessions, classes, rehearsals, cocktail functions and exhibitions. This space can seat up to 50 people.
The Williamstown Mechanics Institute is home to resident theatre company Williamstown Musical Theatre Company Inc, Williamstown Film Society and the Williamstown Historical Society.