Wedding bookings frequently asked questions

Where can I get married?

Hobsons Bay City Council provides four sites within the municipality for wedding ceremonies and photographs to be taken.

These include: 

  • Williamstown Botanic Gardens
  • Commonwealth Reserve Rotunda
  • Newport Lakes
  • Truganina Park

Please note: No other reserves can be used.

Where can I get an application form for my wedding?

You can obtain the application forms from the following page;

Can I have a beach wedding?

No. Only the sites listed above are to be used for wedding ceremonies.


Can I get married on a pier within Hobsons Bay?

Piers within Hobsons Bay are managed by Parks Victoria. To enquire about a wedding on a pier, please contact Parks Victoria on 8627 4699.


How many guests can I have at my wedding ceremony?

A maximum of 75 guests are permitted on the four lawns within the Williamstown Botanic Gardens. Wedding ceremonies held at the Commonwealth Reserve are also restricted to a maximum of 75 guests. Council recommends all applicants visit the gardens and rotunda prior to lodging an application.


Is seating permitted on the lawns within the Williamstown Botanic Gardens?

A maximum of 20 seats are permitted on each lawn of the Williamstown Botanic Gardens, only to cater for elderly guests or people with a disability.


What is the process once I have sent the application form to Council?

Upon receiving the application form and payment, Council will process the bookings and issue a confirmation letter. This letter will act as the permit for the day.


Can I make a tentative booking?

No. Bookings will only be confirmed once an application form and payment has been received.


How can payment be made?

Payment can be made by completing the credit card payment section of the wedding application form. Alternatively, payment can be made in person at Hobsons Bay City Council, Civic Centre located at 115 Civic Parade, Altona 3018.


If my booking is cancelled, will I receive a full refund?

A 75% refund will be provided if Council receives written notification of a cancellation at least 72 hours prior to a booking. No refund will be provided if the cancellation occurs less than 72 hours notice.


How long does the permit allow access to the site?

A two hours permit will be issued for wedding ceremonies and photographs. A one hour permit will be issued for photographs only.


Do I get exclusive use of the Williamstown Botanic Gardens for my booking?

No. There may be multiple weddings on throughout the gardens therefore you will only have use of the lawn area specified on the permit.


What if members of the public are on the lawn prior to my wedding ceremony?

Council's after-hours contact number is included with the confirmation letter which can be phoned to advise any complaints. Council recommends presenting the confirmation letter and advising members of the public to leave the area.


Can I have alcohol at my wedding?

The Williamstown Botanic Gardens and Commonwealth Reserve Rotunda are both alcohol free zones. Please refer to the link below which clearly outlines the boundaries within Hobsons Bay where alcohol can be consumed.

Alcohol and Tobacco Restrictions


Can I use a Council Reserve without acquiring a permit?

All casual reserve bookings are recorded with Council’s Local Laws Officers. If a wedding ceremony is taking place on a Council reserve without a permit, you may be asked to leave the area and a fine may be issued.


Can I erect any temporary structures?

Eg. Marquees, barricades or tents.  

No. These structures are not permitted.


What are my wet weather options?

There are no wet weather options available at Council’s wedding sites. Council recommends that applicants make alternative arrangements in the event of inclement weather. Many applicants choose to arrange this with their receptions venues. No refund will be issued in the event of wet weather. Please refer to Council’s refund policy.


Can vehicles be driven in the Williamstown Botanic Gardens or onto Commonwealth Reserve?

No. Vehicles are prohibited on any Council reserve.


Is there electricity at the wedding locations?

No. There is no access to electricity at any of the wedding sites.


Can the panels at the Commonwealth Reserve rotunda be removed?

No. The panels erected around the Commonwealth Reserve Rotunda must remain in place at all times due to Occupational Health and Safety requirements.

Rate this page

Was the information useful to you?