Enjoy the convenience of village shopping in many great locations without the hustle and bustle of the city.
Traditional strip shopping is alive and well in Hobsons Bay with more than 25 precincts of varying size, purpose and location.
The major retail precincts are in Pier Street Altona Beach and in Williamstown at Douglas Parade, Ferguson Street and waterfront Nelson Place. All the services you’d expect from retail hot spots are here, from specialty and destination stores to supermarkets and local finds and of course lots of interesting places to eat, drink and relax.
Cafes, local services and fresh food stores are clustered around Melbourne Road, Mason and Hall Streets in Newport, while Aviation Road at Laverton to the west is a busy local hub.
Two undercover shopping centres are located in Hobsons Bay: Altona Gate adjoins the 16 shops at Millers Road and includes Kmart, two supermarkets and many fashion chain store brands; Big W is a key tenant at Central Square at Altona Meadows, which features gifts and clothing stores, community services including Altona Meadows Library and an emphasis on fresh food supplies.
Neighbourhood centres provide a range of local and specialist retail services. Favourite destinations for locals might include the Italian supermarket Altona Fresh at Second Avenue in Altona North, huge fresh food stores at The Circle, specialist retail and services in Harrington Square Westona, and more.
Vibrant cafes and specialty food stores in Vernon Street South Kingsville and Hudsons Road Spotswood add to the vibrancy of the strips, being popular with locals and visitors alike.
Shopping locations in Hobsons Bay:
- Pier St
- Railway St
- Maidstone St
- Ferguson St
- Douglas Pde
- Millers Rd
- Hall St
- Mason St
- Melbourne Rd
Undercover shopping centres
Central Square, Corner Queen St and Merton St, Altona Meadows
Shopping strips or squares
Harrington Square, Westona, next to the train station
Borrack Square, Millers Rd, Altona North
Vernon St, South Kingsville
Altona, Civic Parade
Altona, Somers Parade
Altona North, 16 Shops
Altona North, Blackshaws Road
Altona North, Second Avenue
Altona Meadows, Alma Ave
Altona Meadows, Queen & Victoria
Brooklyn, Old Geelong Rd
Brooklyn, Millers Road
Markets in Hobsons Bay
Markets are a great way to experience the city, and can be an excuse to slow down and enjoy the environment that you’re in, while you browse or shop. Regular markets in Hobsons Bay include:
- Regional Farmers Market, Robertson Reserve, Williamstown – second Sunday of each month from 8am until 1pm www.rfm.net.au
- Altona Beach Market Pier Street and Weaver Reserve, Altona, every Tuesday from 9am until 3pm
- The Substation Artists Market, The Substation, Market Street Newport, first Saturday of each month (except January)
- Lions Market, Cherry Lake, Millers Road Altona, first Sunday of each month
- Farmers Market, Spotswood Primary School, Melbourne Road, Spotswood first Saturday of every month from 9am to 1pm
- Craft Market Commonwealth Reserve Williamstown third Sunday of each month from 10am to 4pm www.williamstowncraftmarket.com.au