Truganina Explosives Reserve Altona
Nominate now for the Truganina Explosives Reserve Advisory Committee
Truganina Explosives Reserve was established in 1901 for the storage and handling of commercial explosives and is now managed by Council.
Council has been working to decontaminate the soil surrounding the keeper’s residence at the Truganina Explosives Reserve, and following extensive works to remove contaminated soil and replace it with clean fill, the full potential of the site can now be realised and enjoyed by visitors.
The reserve was primarily used for the handling and shipping of explosives from 1901 to 1962. It was later used by the Chemicals Management Branch of the Occupational Health and Safety Authority. For more information about the history of the reserve download the Truganina Explosive Reserves poster(PDF, 4MB).
In the early 1990s the site was declared surplus and the state government began preparations to sell the land for residential development. Following a campaign by Council and local residents, the state government declared that the site would remain in public hands, and in the year 2000, it appointed Council as the Committee of Management.
The reserve was officially reopened Sunday, 1 November 2009, and is located at Queen Street, Altona.
Recently volunteers from the Truganina Explosives Reserve Preservation Society and the Men's Shed have been actively involved in restoring the historic Keepers Quarters Homestead and the surrounding gardens.
The Truganina Explosives Reserve Preservation Society and council Conservation staff run community open days offering guided tours throughout the historic homestead and the adjoining reserve. Tours are usually on the first Sunday of each month. Please check councils list of upcoming events for further details.