Filming in Hobsons Bay
Hobsons Bay City Council has many sites available for filming and photography.
Filming and Photography in the City of Hobsons Bay
Hobsons Bay offers a variety of locations suitable for filming including heritage streetscapes, coastal landscapes, park lands and industrial landscapes. Permission is required for all filming on Council land.
Our Filming Policy and Guidelines have recently been updated to include a low impact category. Applicants should read the Filming Guidelines for Hobsons Bay for details of the application process and for advice on low impact filming, filming fees and terms and conditions.
A Guide to Filming in the City of Hobsons Bay(PDF, 1MB) has been produced in partnership with Film Victoria as a resource for filmmakers seeking permits or approvals to film on public land.
Film crews should contact Council’s Events Unit directly regarding the intention to film, no later than five business days prior to filming. If your filming is taking place on private land, but you need to park on public roads, you should contact the Events Unit to discuss your proposal.
Commercial photographers should apply for a permit through the filming application form or, if applicable, a low impact filming request form can be used.
Please refer to the 2018 - 2019 Filming Guidelines(PDF, 118KB) for more information.
A standard fee is applied for filming in the municipality limited to those areas under Council's jurisdiction. A lower fee applies to commercial stills photography and no fees are charged for student films. There is an initial establishing charge for the first and second days of filming for commercial or high impact projects. A daily rate applies for any subsequent days.
Low Impact Filming
If your filming activities fall within the Low Impact Filming Criteria (detailed below), you can complete a Low Impact Filming Request form.
The low impact filming criteria is as follows:
- the filming activity involves eight (8) people or less on-site (inclusive of all production crew and talent)
- you have no more than one camera and one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment. No lighting, camera tracking devices, vehicles, large props or generators are permitted
- your activities do not adversely disrupt stakeholders (traders, residents and businesses) or motorists
- all public pathways/footpaths/cycling paths and roads must not be blocked - a minimum of 1.8m is required on footpaths at all times
- you have consent from those directly affected
- a copy of your Public Liability Insurance, minimum $10 million, must be sent in with the request
- You must provide notification of low impact filming, a minimum of two (2) business days prior to the proposed filming activity.
Forms and Other Resources
How to apply:
2018 - 2019 Filming Application(DOCX, 210KB)
Low Impact Filming Request(DOCX, 68KB)
2018 - 2019 Filming Guidelines for Hobsons Bay(PDF, 118KB)
A Guide to Filming in the City of Hobsons Bay(PDF, 1MB)
Filming Policy(PDF, 82KB)
Film Industry Code of Conduct(PDF, 2MB)
Film Victoria: www.film.vic.gov.au
Click here to email the Filming Unit who look after filming permit applications or call them on 9932 1000.